Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Cupid and his arrows...

I used to hate Valentine's Day. I mean, let's face it, it is a construct of the retail industry and pharmaceutical companies. The retail industry profits off of all of the useless fodder that one feels they must give/receive on this day, the drug co's benefit from the crushing sense of self-doubt that people feel when they do not live up to the status quo of Cupids and roses and shit like that. Hey, heaven knows that I popped a Vicodin (or 3) on sad, lonely Valentine's Days of the past. But, for joy, now I have a reason to celebrate...

The husband and me, 2/13/07.
Piedmont Point, Fort Abercrombie State Hist. Park
Note how blue the Gulf of AK is in the background.
Try to ignore all of the chins.

... and not with overpriced roses, bad chocolates, or cheesy cards either. We are going to meet up for a sushi lunch and a hike in the woods. This is love. I wouldn't have it any other way. Here is a lovely post on the meaning of true love, not the faux romantic sappy stuff. That is exactly why the husband and I are so happy- we laugh, love, sometimes fight, and always grow. Together. I am the luckiest woman in the world. I look at this picture and think, "Wow, that guy, with those kind eyes and sweet temperament. This man, in all of his hot Black Irishness, with rapier-sharp wit, who never raises his voice, who always supports the silly things I do... this man loves me." I hope you all can find the same kind of love and trust someday...

1 comment:

Artis-Anne said...

Totally agree with your statement of what love is all about. But then I hate the hype of Christmas and Easter too & they are selling easter eggs in our stores now !!. The worlds gone crazy & the simple values are being lost gradually to a lot of folks who believe in what you own is who you are . Oh dear I could go on but this commercial driven world makes me angry & sad